Tobi II

Please reference my original "Tobi" post for more background on this.

A very quick recap:

1. Marisa's mom reached out to me to help find a home for Tobi - his mom was desperate

2. I was told they knew him from church

3. Marisa said they weren't close friends, but knew each other

4. Marisa and her mom both just said that Tobi is "quiet"

5. I found a friend from church willing to open up her home to Tobi.  This friend had not wanted to commit to a whole year of hosting, but was excited for this experience to introduce her kids to a new culture.

6. Not a recap, but let me mention to you that Marisa specifically told me she wanted to get together with Tobi while he was here and I was determined to make sure that would happen.

Fast forward to Tobi's arrival:

1. Tobi doesn't talk - like, at all.  If you ask Tobi a question, he just shrugs his shoulders

2. Tobi doesn't leave his room (but things like pop are missing, so he definitely sneaks up at some point)

3. Tobi. doesn't. shower.  Tobi is stinky.  His mom told my friend (after Tobi was at her house) - "oh yeah, Tobi is my only child who doesn't like hygiene" (maybe something that could have been mentioned earlier?!?)

4. It's not going well for my friend.  Her kids are disappointed.  She is disappointed.  I feel responsible for this situation (Jackie, stop it - not everything is your fault even though you always feel like it is).

This can be an unfortunate reality of when exchanges don't go well.  My friend had to force Tobi to shower a couple times while he was at her house and is concerned how she will get the smell out of her home it was so bad (sorry Tobi).

We go to church Wednesday nights to have dinner and attend a service.  We knew Tobi would be there.  Tobi sat at the table across from Marisa.  Neither of them talked to each other or looked at each other.

I wasn't going to force Marisa to talk to him, but I asked her "Are you going to say "hi"?"

They sat in awkward silence completely ignoring each other.

At this point - I. am. so. confused.

All that kept going through my mind was - if I went across the world and someone I knew was exactly where I would be - that would be so much fun, we'd have a connection, I would feel like it's "my people" and someone gets me here in this weird place.

At one point, I asked my husband to try to make it light and get them talking since he's much better at that than me, but the timing just wasn't great.

After dinner, we sat down at church and my friend purposely arranged it so that Tobi was sitting directly near Marisa.

Again, they sit facing forward, completely acting like they do not know each other - perfect strangers.

You guys - this is now officially weird and I'm still confused.

I will say - Marisa DID attempt to talk to him when church was over, something like "when do you leave?" (I can't remember - but something along those lines) - and you guys, I'm not kidding, Tobi totally turned around and walked away from her.  #awkwardteenmoment

Of course it's an absolute joke now.  Scott jokes about Marisa taking Tobi to prom and that no other New Prague boys will live up to Tobi's reputation.

Tobi is now gone, and the room is being fumigated.

But - Marisa will never live that one down!

Comments

Popular Posts