MEA Y'all

What a P-A-C-K-E-D MEA weekend we had.  I overdid it - I'll admit.  But - I have no regrets.

And sorry for a small dig - who are my teacher friends that actually go to the MEA conference?  Why do we still call it MEA, why don't we just call it "Fall Holiday" at this point and call it what it is?  I'm all about honesty.  I don't mind teachers getting a day off, or me having an excuse to take a day off - but let's not pretend it's for the betterment of our students' education.  Any hoodely-doodely...

Day 1:

Ok - we didn't hit the ground running just yet - we ran errands, caught up on life and took Marisa to get some more winter clothes.


Day 2:

This is the day we overdid it - just a touch.  But again, no regrets.

We started the day by going to our local Barten's pumpkin patch.  Always a good time, and mandatory photo opportunities.  This is where I do my child growth pictures (how big are they now compared to the pumpkins they sat by when they were 10 months old!?!?).   Fun to reminisce.

We then drove up to the University of Minnesota Campus.  Scott and I both went to school there, and I also worked on campus for five years post-graduation.  Scott also got his master's degree there, I took masters' level classes (free benefit from working there!).  Did I also mention I was a tour guide?  So - little to say, I know the campus VERY well inside and out.  Of course, much time has lapsed and much has changed, but the old girl still knew her way.

I'm sure it's nostalgia, but I have been waiting for a perfect time to take my kids back to campus and show them around.  It really is a beautiful place and I think it's fun to get an idea of future possibilities or seeing what college is like.  Having Marisa here, I thought it would be fun to show her an "American" college campus - and I really didn't know when else in the year we would be able to do something like this.

We started off with a visit to the Weisman Art Museum on campus - fun fact, it's free and open to the public daily.  Then I took them on a personal guided walking tour of campus - I really sensed I was the only one that appreciated - there was definite lack of enthusiasm.  But, it was a beautiful fall day!  Also - a plug for "Roti" a Mediterranean grill in Stadium Village - it's like Subway, but for Mediterranean food.  Why was there not delicious food places like this when I was on campus?!?

I then took them to the Foshay tower in downtown Minneapolis.  I had heard it was fun with a museum.  However, I am just starting to understand Quinn's semi-newfound fear of heights - and little did I know this experience would sour her mood for the entire rest of the day.  There were beautiful views - just don't bring someone with a fear of heights with you - like, ever.

Then we went to the Minneapolis sculpture garden and The Walker Art Center.  I have been to the sculpture garden, and eaten at a restaurant at the Walker, but never actually looked at art at the Walker.  I feel bad, but I was highly underwhelmed by The Walker.  Of course, there was some cool art, but it bothers me to no end to see a square canvas painted yellow and it's highly expensive, abstract art.  What?  I love cool, abstract, "make you think" kid of art - but come on!  I guess I thought it would be much bigger - unless I missed a few floors, I don't think I'll go back anytime soon.  This is unfortunate because I love exploring art museums and have only heard good things.

After this, we did head back home for a bit of a rest because we also had 10pm tickets to the Minnesota Zoo Pumpkin Spectacular.   I always hemmed and hawed about this - "why should I pay money to see carved pumpkins - especially if I'm a member - why isn't this included in my zoo membership".  Reminder to self - it's not cheap to keep animals alive for a year, Jackie- be thankful, your membership probably feeds one animal for one day.

Let me say - GO.  This is magical and definitely worth going at least once.  I feel we will be back, but I have no regrets on spending the extra money.  And it also isn't a one-minute thing where you see it and go home.  It is an experience.  Well done, MN Zoo!


Day 3:

We went to the Bakken Museum in Minneapolis.  This place is an underrated experience, in my opinion.  If you love the Science Museum and the Children's Museum, you will love the Bakken Museum.  It's kind of a combination of those two, but much smaller, much quieter and a LOT less expensive.

Quinn loves making the stop motion animation and we had fun in the Mary Shelly room.

We stopped at Patina and had a lot of fun looking at gifts.  I have not yet talked about Harry Styles (see picture of Marisa with the Harry Styles candle at Patina) - at some point, I will need to make an entire post about Harry Styles and the funny arguments that happen between Quinn/Cora and Marisa about him.

And probably the best part of MEA - Pizzeria Lola (heart eyes).  I had heard of chef Ann Kim many times, I've heard of Pizzeria Lola, Young Joni, etc.  However, now there is a Netflix "Chef's Table: Pizza" out about Ann Kim - so I forced my family to watch this to get an appreciation for her history - Korean immigrants in Minnesota, her introducing Korean food in unique ways to Minnesotans - via pizza.  It was really fun to have them watch this and then take them there.

You definitely need a reservation - check.

We indulged.  It was heavenly.  It is worth it.  If you are thinking about going - go.

We tried: My Sha-roni, Lady Zaza, Boise and Sunnyside.

We all agreed Sunnyside was our favorite - over easy eggs on pizza?  Sounds weird?  Yes - go, do it, get it.

And of course, we also had to try the soft serve ice cream with sea salt and olive oil.  Also, interestingly good and weird.

She has a fun photo booth, and you can put your photo booth picture on the wall.  Marisa felt compelled to buy a photo booth ticket, explaining that we had to do it because we were there.  I'm so glad she made us do the photo booth! 

So . . . YUM.  We will definitely be back.

When we got home - time for pumpkin carving!  This was Marisa's first carving experience, but she felt like it was natural and that she had done it before.  Cora made a pumpkin named "Amy", Marisa made a Minecraft pumpkin named Gunther, and Quinn made a very special pumpkin named "Tina".  This was a good memory-making and bonding experience for us - so many laughs that night.


Day 4:

Marisa is used to going to a larger church in Germany - one that I envisioned was more the styling of our Mega churches here.  I've been to those and enjoy the concert-like experience.  I took her, Quinn and Cora to Grace Church in Eden Prairie.

I was thinking this was more her style for church, and that was pretty much confirmed.  It was really nice on the car ride home that she thanked me for taking me there and told me how cool she thought it was.  We do have a local church we attend regularly, but it is a very different style and more traditional.  I'm sure we'll be back for a few more services to experience something else and help her feel "at home".

After that, we met up with my friend, Callie and her daughter, Grace to go to the Sever's corn festival.  Another very "Minnesotan" thing that none of us had done.  The kids had fun - they played in the corn, bounced, walked Llamas, went down the big slide, went in the corn maze and ziplined.

We went to Tommy's Malt shop afterwards in Chaska - YUM.  And also, very "American".


All in all - a pretty successful MEA weekend!
























































Comments

Popular Posts